Confusion and anxiety deepened in Oyo State as authorities dismissed viral social media claims that pupils and teachers abducted in the Oriire Local Government Area had been freed.
Abayomi Fagbenro, special adviser on security to Governor Seyi Makinde, said reports circulating online about the release of the victims were false. He spoke while responding to inquiries following a flurry of posts suggesting that those seized in the attack on three schools in the Ahoro-Esinle and Yawota axis of Ogbomoso had regained freedom.
Armed men had stormed Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community Grammar School, and LEA Primary School, Esiele, killing at least one person and abducting scores of pupils, students and teachers. Initial figures from the state government indicated that seven students were taken from Community Grammar School, while 18 children and seven teachers were seized from First Baptist Nursery and Primary School.
The scale of the assault, and the youth of many of the victims, triggered widespread outrage and fear across the state. As unverified reports of a rescue began to spread, some social media users questioned their authenticity, pointing out that no mainstream outlet had confirmed any release.
Fagbenro moved to clarify the situation, stating that as of Thursday morning there had been no release of any of the abducted pupils or staff. His position was echoed by the Oyo State Police Command.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Olayinka Ayanlade, said he was not aware of any successful rescue operation but stressed that security agencies were intensifying efforts to locate and free the hostages. He noted that the command was working in concert with other security formations deployed to the area.
Following the attack, the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, ordered the deployment of additional detectives from Force Headquarters in Abuja to join a joint security team already combing the forests and surrounding communities.
At the federal level, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, called for what he described as a careful, clinical and timely operation to rescue the abducted pupils and teachers, warning against any action that could endanger their lives.
The Defence Headquarters also announced that troops had established contact with the abductors and were working to secure the safe return of all those taken. Governor Makinde has repeatedly assured residents that every available resource is being mobilised to bring the victims home alive.