Three women from Plateau State have recounted how they were lured with fake job offers and trafficked to Mali for prostitution.
The victims, Becky Ibrahim, Blessing Nanging and Miracle Yakubu, were recently rescued and returned to Nigeria through the intervention of the Global Anti-Human Trafficking Organisation.
Speaking at a programme in Lagos on Saturday, the women said they had initially accepted offers of jobs in Lagos because of poverty and unemployment, only to discover they had been trafficked across borders into Mali.
Becky Ibrahim, a 35-year-old widow and mother of three, said she was approached in Jos by a man who promised to help her secure employment in Lagos.
Ibrahim stated that she agreed to travel hoping to support her children and pay their school fees.
According to her, the trip unexpectedly continued through Cotonou before ending in Mali, where they were allegedly forced into prostitution.
“I was approached in Jos by a man who promised to help me secure employment in Lagos. I agreed to travel because I wanted to support my children and pay their school fees,” she said.
“But the journey unexpectedly continued through Cotonou before we ended up in Mali, where we were forced into prostitution. We were beaten whenever we refused,” she added.
Another victim, Blessing Nanging, said she left Plateau State believing she had secured legitimate employment that would help her cater for her two children.
She said her traffickers later informed them that the supposed work was prostitution.
“I left Plateau State believing I had secured legitimate employment that would help me cater for my two children,” she said.
“But later, the traffickers told us that the supposed ‘shop work’ was prostitution. They intimidated and punished anyone who refused,” she added.
Miracle Yakubu, a 23 yrs old, narrated how she allegedly suffered severe abuse after attempting to escape.
According to her, she was attacked and stabbed with a bottle after planning to flee alongside another victim.
“I suffered severe abuse after attempting to escape. They attacked me and stabbed me with a bottle after I planned to flee alongside another victim,” she said.
The women urged young Nigerians to be wary of suspicious overseas job offers and avoid travelling with strangers promising employment opportunities abroad.
“Stay where you are and find something genuine to do. Don’t follow people because they promise you jobs abroad,” Ibrahim warned.
In bis remarks, the President of GAHTO, Prosper Michael, raised concerns over cases of labour exploitation involving Nigerians trafficked to Egypt.
According to him, some traffickers allegedly confiscate victims’ international passports upon arrival and force them into exploitative labour for up to two years without payment.
“We will submit the names of those involved to security agencies for investigation and possible arrest,” he said, adding that slave trade is no longer acceptable.
He further revealed that complaints had been received from some Nigerians regarding sponsors and agents accused of seizing passports and subjecting Nigerians to harsh working conditions in Egypt.
Michael called on the Nigerian government, security agencies and international organisations to intensify efforts against trafficking syndicates operating across Africa and the Middle East.
He disclosed that the rescued women were received in Lagos by members of the BIROM Association community, who assisted in arrangements for their return to Plateau State.
Also speaking, the Financial Secretary of the BIROM Association community in Lagos, Naomi Badu, said the group acted immediately after learning that the victims had been brought back into Nigeria through Ghana.
“We always try to support our people whenever they are stranded, trafficked or in distress,” she said.